Saturday, November 20, 2004

Chapter 6

"Warlord Norcross wants to see you, Master", said Varag, the castle's doorkeeper, entering the cathedral where the necromancer sat, alone, his mind wandering free all around the wide room.

Narayan focused his wandering mind in a second and turned his attention to his servant. "Norcross? Where's him?"

"He's waiting on the entrance. Shall I let him come?"

"Yes", answered Narayan. "Let's see what does he want", he thought for himself.

The household servant left, and the huge warlord entered the cathedral. He stared at the necromancer with a glimpse of despair in his eyes - a glimpse Narayan noticed and retributed.

"Norcross the Great", said Narayan. "Be welcomed to my humble hoouse. Make yourelf confortable, please."

He was being obviously sarcastic - there, "confortable" meant to stand in front of the altar's mettalic throne. This irritated Norcross, even more than he already was.

"Cut the bullshit", he said with angry. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"What do you mean?"

"The angel", Norcross replied, holding his sword. "You dared defy me for her, in front of everyone's eyes. You disauthorized me, as if my power was insignificant. I should kill you for that."

Instinctively he held his sword tigher.

"You should, but you can't. And we both know that." Narayan was calm, even when facing a warrior that actually made, at least, three of him, saying he wished to kill him - not a friendly wish.

"One day, Narayan", prophetized the warlord, "all armies of the Underworld will march together under my coat of arms. My legions will be unstopabble, untouchable, invencible, and to overrun the Earth and Mil'Garion. Then I won't need you and your dark magic, and your power will be useless."

This thought made Narayan smile.

"It might be. But, when that day come, have one thing in mind... the first time I sat in this throne, the Underworld was still ruled by kings. I am here for many, many time, Norcross. Three millenia in this hell gave me time to learn its ways. Don't underestimate me. You just don't know me."

The warlord didn't answered. Narayan continued: "For now, you need me. You need my dark rituals to strengthen your warriors. You need me to teach your battlemages the secrets of black magic. You need me as every warlord before you needed. Let's consider the angel as a payment for my services."

"Just remember my words", replied Norcross, turning to the door. He stopped when he reached it. "I almost forgot. The Warlords Council will reunite tomorrow with the moonrise. Your presence has been requested."
"By whom?", he asked.
"By me", the warlord answered. "I think you owe me that for the public humiliation. Besides that, this time your presence will be important. Every warlord will be there."

"All right. I will be there", Narayan said. Then he took a small golden rune from a pocket and threw it to the warlord, from on side of the cathedral to another. "Here. Take this. Add it to your sword. I think you're gonna like it."
Norcross' wide hand caught the rune in the air. "What is it?"
"A gift of good will", the necromancer answered simply.
Norcross smiled, looking at the rune. Then he left, allowing Narayan's mind to wander again through the wide cathedral.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home